The Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara was commissioned from E. Wolff & Co. for Garrard in 1913 by Her Majesty Queen Mary.
The tiara itself was inspired by other tiaras worn at the time, especially by her mother, the Duchess of Cambridge.
Features of the tiara include swinging pearl pendants, hanging from diamond arches capped with Lovers KNot, together with 19 baroque pearl pendants.
The tiara also featured pieces from other tiaras in Queen Mary’s collection, including the Some Ladies of England Tiara and the original pearls from the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara topped the Cambridge Lovers Knot.
However, those pearls were later removed.
Following the death of Queen Mary, the tiara was passed to Queen Elizabeth II who wore the tiara frequently throughout the 1950s, before placing it back in the vault in favour of her current tiaras.
The Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara came out of the vaults during the 1980s, when Her Majesty the Queen loaned it to Diana, the Princess of Wales.
Princess Diana wore the tiara on several occasions throughout the 1980s and the early 1990s until she and Prince Charles separated.
There followed was a lot of speculation on who would wear the tiara and when it would make its reappearance again.
Then, at the annual Diplomatic Reception hosted by Her Majesty the Queen, the Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara made a reappearance……this time, it was worn by HRH Catherine the Duchess of Cambridge.
It has since become the Duchess’s staple tiara.
The velvet band on the base of the tiara has also been changed to a darker colour to blend in better with the Duchess’ hair, suggesting that the Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara is now a lifetime loan to HRH Catherine the Duchess of Cambridge.
God bless HRH Catherine the Duchess of Cambridge and God save the Queen!
FOR GOD, QUEEN AND COUNTRY